
Sobe/Samsung/No Fear's Kevin Windham was quick to accept the Leatt brace and the first to make a supercross podium with one! After the fizzy business at San Diego, Weekend Window asked Kevin for his reaction after one night of racing in a Leatt Brace at podium speed.
Q: Kevin, how was your race with that Leatt Brace?
A: The race was great. It didn’t bother me at all. It builds a little confidence too. As many neck injuries as we have had, you can’t help but think about it a little bit. It’s a dangerous game. For me, taking any possible risk out by wearing a brace gives me more confidence. That’s good. I have been riding a lot better and it just so happens that everything came together tonight.
I think it’s just been a combination of things, the hard work.
Q: So it was an easy decision for you to wear this brace?
A: Oh yeah. It’s simple. I rode with it for one day. I realized within 2 laps on the track that this is something that it not going to bother me and it is something I am going to ride with. I feel good about wearing it and I feel good about the safety that it provides. It was an easy decision. Now that I am wearing it, I have to make sure I have enough for west coast/east coast practice and everything. I don’t intend to ride any without it.
Q: So with some more confidence tonight you had a good race?
A: In the last 2 weeks actually. I was gunning for the podium in Houston. I didn’t have the best pace tonight. I was struggling a little bit with some of my corners. But I kept my pace. It feels good.
Q: A year from now, will everyone will be wearing one of those braces?
A: Yeah, I think well over 50 percent by the end of the year probably even. It’s hard to say. We know a neck injury is something you can’t come back from. We don’t worry about bones. We know what we face week in and week out. I have had some great doctors putting me back together.
The technology for the neck is not there yet. I think everyone thinks about it. If you think about it, why don’t you do the best you can to eliminate that problem?